Saturday, January 21, 2012

Day 7: Giving myself permission.

Its taken me a long time to give myself permission to commit to myself.  To commit to a daily practice no matter what, where, which, whom needs my attention or doing. I have been practicing yoga and meditation several times a week since 1999, but there is always something, someone, or some excuse not to do it everyday or to fall out of the routine of doing it.


It's been an interesting process to step away and commit, and let the world resolve itself in my absence. I am thankful for the space and support I am receiving and for the grounding openness in my heart I am able to give back.


Meditation has become quite popular in the recent years. We hear of the positive effects it has on the body and the mind. But what makes it so special?


Meditation allows us to connect to our breath, the source of our life. Meditation allows for our whole body give back to itself. In this fast paced moving world, we need to give ourselves permission and stop, to reconnect, to become aware of what is going on within us, in order to stay grounded and connected to our spouses, families, society and the earth. As we begin to find peace within, peace out in the world begins to express itself around us.


During meditation our brain waves slow down, allowing for the process of regeneration and rejuvenation to happen easily within our bodies. There are many ways to 'kneel down and kiss the ground'!


On the website for the 'Winter Feast for the Soul' you can find lots of information about different traditions and their ways to meditate, as well as a wonderful download called the Path to Peace.


If you are a beginner I recommend to step out and find a class, a teacher, or another meditator who can provide you with the tools you need to make your practice a success.


So give yourself permission to kiss the ground!


__

"If it weren't for my mind, my meditation would be excellent"- Ani Pema Chodron.
__


Morning: 2 oz of wheatgrass in 8 oz of water.
Half an hour later: Sunflower, radish, mustard, shungiku Sprouts, celery, spinach, cilantro, carrot, asian pear, ginger. 24 oz
Lunch: 2 cups of hot water with unpasteurized Miso.
Afternoon: Beet tops, green and red collards, beets, pomegranate, cucumber, orange. 20 oz.
Dinner: cup of fresh ginger tea with lemon.

I gave myself permission to rest today. To breathe slowly and deeply, to respect the fact that I feel tired, heavy, and very slow. I am not used to not doing. It's been really nurturing.


No comments:

Post a Comment